• Welcome to the Shining Force Mods Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Shining Force series, modding and, of course, video gaming.

Register Log in

Hi there Shiny Folks!

Fandles

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Hello there!

I finally completed Shining Force 1&2 earlier this year after getting stuck on Dark Dragon in 2007.
After that I started looking for mods but Shining Force Central was/is vast and unfocused on modding.
Luckily I looked again tonight and found this site!
I'd like to get into creating mods for Shining Force myself but I'm unclear on the limitations of the current toolset.
Is there a post that makes the limitations of the current toolset clear? I'm pretty sure you cannot make new maps or terrain layouts which is a big problem but what else is there?

I look forward to seeing the SF modding community blossom into a accessible, well documented, slam dunk of a modding community.

Xeno

Shining Buddy
Epic Contributor
SF2 Hacker
Reaction score
Welcome to SFMods, @Fandles!

Regarding a post on limitations of current tools, I guess there isn't such a thing as we'd rather be working on removing those limitations then listing them ;)

I suggest to just get the tools for the game you wish to mod and start experimenting. Feel free to ask questions about any obstacle you may encounter, actually, this may turn out to be the starting point to getting some documentation work going.

As for making new maps, I assume you mean adding rather than modifying existing ones, correct? I haven't really looked into that yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but I believe this can be done in SF2 with a bit of assembly work. You'll want to give the split disassembly a look if interested.

Erikin84

Captain Awesome
Epic Contributor
Pixel Artist
Reaction score
Welcome, I have dealt with alot of graphic stuff, so if you have questions I can assist you. I would recommend joining the discord as that's where we do alot of corresponding for Shining force modding.

Fandles

Shining Buddy
Reaction score
Thanks fellas,

I'll check out split disassembly and the discord!
@Erikin84 Can I get a link/invite to that discord? I can't seem to find a live link anywhere.